First Game of the Year

Paul Morrone |

By Preston Young, MBA

I’ve seen many live sporting events, and nothing gets me quite excited as watching my Boston Red Sox play. A couple of weeks ago, for my birthday, I went to see the Boston Red Sox take on the Cleveland Guardians. While it was raining and gloomy here in CT, Boston was sunny, a tad bit windy and thankfully, no rain. 

We started our journey by driving to the train station in Newton, MA. We had decided to take the train into Fenway, as from past experiences, this was the easiest and most convenient way to get there. The train ride was short and sweet, and before we knew it, we were stepping off the train and into the heart of Fenway Park.

Before the game started, we decided to stop for some food and drinks. We headed to the YardHouse and Fenway Johnnies, two of the many great spots around the ballpark for pre-game food and drinks. The atmosphere was buzzing, and we could feel the excitement building as we got closer and closer to the first pitch. Coming into the season, the Red Sox weren’t favored to win many games, causing what I thought would be much smaller crowds at Fenway. However, the start of the season was much different than expected, we were winning games, scoring runs at a higher rate and had the second-best offense going into this series against Cleveland. Fans were excited and this really showed at the 4pm Saturday game.

We finally made our way to our seats, which were 4 rows behind home plate. It was an incredible feeling to be so close to the action, we were able to hear players talking to each other, managers yelling at the umpire and small talk between opposing teams. The crowd was electric, the fans in our section were friendly, and we even started the wave! 

Because of where our seats were, I had my grandmother very excited to be able to see me on TV for the whole game. She had been watching from home and sent me plenty of photos of myself and Rachel on TV.

The game was intense from start to finish. The Red Sox and the Guardians were evenly matched, and every play felt like it could be a game-changer. The Red Sox took an early 6-1 lead, but the Guardians battled back, and soon the score was tied.

As the game went on, the tension continued to build. We cheered and jeered as the players made their way around the bases, and we held our breath every time a ball was hit deep into the outfield. It was an emotional rollercoaster, and we were all on the edge of our seats, even Rachel!

Finally, the game went into extra innings. It was a nail-biter, then, in the 10th inning, the Red Sox managed to score two runs, winning the game, and the crowd erupted in a frenzy of excitement.

We cheered and high-fived each other, elated that our team had won. We stayed in our seats for a few more minutes, soaking up the atmosphere and savoring the moment. It was an incredible experience, one that I won’t forget anytime soon.

Tracking: 436685-1